Science Communication Fellowship
Connecting Scientific Research with CommunitiesSunset Zoo Behind the Science initiative is a growing network of trained researchers, professionals, graduate students and post-graduate students working together to connect the community to science and elevate the understanding of science-related work taking place in the region. Launched in 2015, with the Science Communication Fellowship, these efforts are part of the national Portal to the Public Network and has received additional support from Kansas State University's Graduate School.
The Science Communication Fellowship is specifically designed for graduate students and post-doctoral researchers, and is Sunset Zoo's flagship program of it's Behind the Science initiative. Certification takes place at minimum once per year. Applications for the 2018 Cohort are being taken now.
Benefits of Becoming a Fellow
- Enhance your science communication skills
- Develop a hands-on educational activity that is yours to use in multiple settings at Sunset Zoo and beyond.
- Receive letters of acknowledgement and certification suitable for sharing with supervisors and for grant reporting.
- Join a growing network of certified Fellows who participate in public programs throughout the year facilitated by Sunset Zoo.
- A personalized webpage to engage multiple audiences with your work on Sunset Zoo's Behind the Science website.
Expectations of Fellows
- Complete an official Science Communication Fellowship application.
- Participate in an initial interview and cohort selection process that evaluates commitment, intent and availability to participate.
- Participation in required workshops totaling ten hours
- Additional training may be offered, but will be optional.
- Participate in a one-on-one activity development and communication meeting between workshop sessions.
- Develop and prototype a hands-on activity related to your current work. Concept support will be provided by Sunset Zoo Education Staff.
- Sign up for a minimum of three public programs facilitated by Sunset Zoo’s Education Department by February 2020.
General Timeline for NEW, Fall 2017 Fellows Program
- MAY 3, 2019: Application due to Zoo by 5pm (CDT)
- MAY 13, 2019: Applicants notified by Zoo staff regarding acceptance into the cohort; the cohort is limited to ten fellows.
- MAY 20 - AUGUST 23, 2019: Professional development workshops hosted by Zoo staff; exact dates to be determined with input from fellows.
- SEPTEMBER 2019 - FEBRUARY 2020: Public programs by fellows.
Application ProcessInterested individuals should complete the Science Communication Fellowship Application and return to Zoo staff by Friday, May 3 at 5pm (CDT). Completed applications can be mailed, emailed or faxed to:
Attn: Science Communication Fellowship
2333 Oak Street
Manhattan, KS 66502
email: firstname.lastname@example.org | fax: 785-587-2730